Skip to main content
We all have things we are thankful for.  Family, friends, a house over our head, a warm bed to sleep in, even the meal on our plate- the many things we all take for granted on a daily basis.  We take one day out of our year to remind ourselves and others just how much we appreciate what we have.  The thing is this year I am thankful for everything.  I am so glad to be able to spend time with people I love and whom love me most of all.  The human interaction is imperative to us as humans and without this interaction, life seems like it is in some ways pointless.  If I could break down everything I believe and think I know about life and why we are here, I would say that I truly believe that our life is not measured in days, months or years, but by how much we are able to change other peoples lives for the better.  Living a life on the pursuit of money, cars and girls is a life wasted if it is not equally important to help others every chance you get.  

Last Sunday Tasha and I went to 'Friendsgiving' at Stacy, Ben and Kelsey's home.  It was an awesome meal that consisted of the typical Thanksgiving dishes and the added vegetarian options for myself, Tasha and Kellie.  Tofurkey to be exact.  Spending those 3 or 4 hours with people that really care about each other was an amazing experience.  I used to go through the motions when doing certain things and I think I am slowly learning that every moment shared with someone is a moment that is important in of itself.  I find myself truly interested in most everything people say to me, no matter how boring or repetitive it is.  I really listen now and I want to remember everyones names the second I meet them.  I never used to take the time to truly try and remember a name, sometimes they stuck sometimes they didn't.  Now when I meet people I make sure and remember their name before leaving.  It is a simple thing that most people don't think twice about.  A name is what we are branded by, how we are recognized and how people identify us.  I think every person deserves the small amount of effort it takes to remember a name.

Today is Thanksgiving.  Today I want to say thank you to all my friends and family for their support and everything they have done for me.  Today I want to say thank you to everyone who reads this mindless chatter I post on here.  I want to say thank you to everyone, this has been a tough month and I really could not have done it without all of you.  Now go stuff your belly and tell your family you love them.

Ryan


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day one. For the last few days now I have been trying to figure out the best way to let all of my friends and family in on what is happening with me.  Well, I decided a blog would be the easiest and most efficient way to keep everyone in the loop.  I figure anyone who wants to know what is happening in my battle (which I am now referring to it by-since I know I can win battles) can just check out this blog.  And this will save me from telling the story 60000 times. :)  I am gonna update it with pictures, stories and all kinds of fun goodies to let you in on how much fun brain cancer is! :) So here is the back story, for the last year+ I have had these random headaches and small bouts of confusion (basically for a minute or two I would have trouble concentrating or making sense of my thoughts.  I chalked it up to stress and not being where I want to be in my life at this time.  Well, once I got my new job and finally got insurance again, I decided to go have a check since it ha

Grade IV Glioblastoma Multiforme

Before I get into my diagnosis, let me preface this all by saying I will survive this.  I will carry on and you all will get sick of me one day.  I am not ignorant and this diagnosis was the complete opposite of what I was hoping for.  I recall reading about Grade IV GBM's (GBM's are what we call them in the biz) and thinking, "Wow, I hope I don't have that."  Well, I do.  This is not easy to say and I know once you all 'google' my diagnosis you will understand why I am not in as high of spirits as I once was.  (I think I am allowed an hour or two of initial shock, but I will get over it.)  This particular cancer has a shelf life of about 1-2 years after diagnosis.  This timeline doesn't even get me to 30 and I am not ok with that.   Listening to the doctor tell me I am a Grade IV Glioblastoma (aka the worst and most aggressive brain cancer known) was like sitting through my death sentence in court.  It was hard- to say the least...  I always tried to

9 Years Later...

A few hours post-op Today is pretty bitter sweet. It marks my 9 year Cancerversary... but with an asterisk. As I said in my last post, 9 years is a long time, 9 years with GBM is a lifetime. The excitement of making it this long is not what I was hoping it would be, but 9 years nonetheless, is quite the accomplishment and I am happy to be here. I am nowhere near done with this life so I hope you all aren’t sick of me just yet. -- Surgery went off without a hitch! I’m sure everybody is super curious as to how an awake craniotomy takes place, so I guess I can go ahead and walk you through it as I am now a seasoned veteran.  I checked in bright and early (around 5:30am) and then waited.. And waited.. And waited until about 7am. Around 7am I was brought back to the initial surgery waiting area where I with 3 other patients all waiting to go to their surgeries. Once I arrived in this secondary waiting area I was greeted by countless people that would be involved in the surgery. So many intr