Skip to main content
Today I had my first MRI post radiation and chemo.  To say I was nervous would probably be an understatement.  The hard part about all of this is not the treatment, the diagnosis, it is not the pain or any of the other million things that accompany cancer; the hard part is the waiting.  The so called 'limbo' stage where I do not know too much one way or another.  The anxiety that this causes is unreal and anyone who has or is going through cancer will tell you the same.  The waiting game is the real torture.  Once I have an answer, at least it is confirmed one way or another, until that answer is clear I still have to know that it can go either way and one of those directions is obviously a direction I am not hoping for.  I sat in the little tunnel of claustrophobia for what seemed like an eternity and the entire time I visualized myself inside my brain leading an army of battle warriors against an army of evil.  I visualized this battle taking place in the area of my tumor and it was not once sided.  I know what is happening up there and we are losing some of the good guys, but I also am certain that with every loss of one of my soldiers we are taking out 20 of the bad guys.  I did not picture a clean battle, but one of blood and massacre.  A battle that mimics many of the worst I have studied in our worlds past and I am confident that the winning side will be my team and I will forever be grateful and appreciative for my new life.

Going forward is the start of another road, this road will be tough and filled with plenty of obstacles.  I meet with my oncologist on Tuesday, she will go over my most recent MRI and I will hear what she has to say about it. As I said before, this is the first MRI post radiation and I am certain my brain probably resembles a piece of pie at this point so she wont be able to tell me too much.  This MRI will become my new 'baseline' and a month from now will be the true test to see where this monster is headed. (Get it, 'headed?')  After I meet with Emily I will shoot over to UCLA to start my next round of the trial drug I am currently on.  This is the fun part, every injection feels like fire going into my body then I become immediately tired.  After a nap I wake up with a fun rash and a couple days of swelling and I look like I am pregnant with a small alien in the side of my abdomen.  The injection sites JUST finished healing a couple days ago and now I get to start alllllllllll over again!  Ironically, I don't even know if these are helping in the battle, but I am trying everything I possibly can so a little bit of pain is just part of the game.  Tuesday will also mark the end of my 'chemocation.'  I finished my initial marathon session of chemo which consisted of 45 days straight, minus a 3 day break when my blood counts dropped very low and Tuesday I will begin chemo again.  This time the regimen will be a bit tougher though- I will be taking double the dosage of what I initially took, but only for 5 days straight.  I will then be off chemo for 25 days, then back on for 5 days double dosage again.  This will continue on for about a year or until they don't think it is necessary anymore for one reason or another.

Like I said, it is going to be a tough road and I am not sure how my body will react to doubling the dosage of chemo that I initially took.  I skated through my initial treatment and I hope that it is the same this time around, but only time will tell.  Until then, please continue those happy thoughts, prayers, mental hugs and good vibes- I am all but sure they are helping!!!!!

_____________________________________

Ryan and I are currently working extra hard to get the foundation up and running.  We are working with some exceptionally talented and amazing people to help us set up the groundwork and I can not be more excited to launch it.  We have some amazing ideas in the works and within the next few weeks we will be sharing a lot of information with everyone.  I truly hope you all will help out with this new foundation as much as you have helped me through this journey.  I KNOW that we can help a lot of people who need a lot of help.  Changing people's lives is an amazing feeling and having been the one in need of help for so long, now it is time for me to return the favor.  Thank you everyone and stay tuned for some awesome things coming up, I promise you it will be fun and you will be changing lives.

There is no better feeling than to know you have changed a life for the better, to know that you have impacted someone in such a way that you have completely changed their life for the better.  No amount of money nor material possessions will ever equal the feeling of inspiring someone.

FTGF,
Ryan
xo

15 years later, still an amazing group of guys.  CREDO

Comments

  1. Ryan,
    I just heard that you got your results back and that you received good news! I am beyond happy to hear that! Small victories... just more proof that you will beat this!

    Sending continued thoughts, prayers and good vibes your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My father is currently in the waiting period for his MRI results. He's not the only one getting frustrated with waiting; the whole family really wants to find out, so we can prepare ourselves for whichever path we need to take. Our consolation is that they're thoroughly analyzing their findings and thinking of the best possible treatment for him. Thank you for sharing your journey, Ryan! Best regards!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day one. For the last few days now I have been trying to figure out the best way to let all of my friends and family in on what is happening with me.  Well, I decided a blog would be the easiest and most efficient way to keep everyone in the loop.  I figure anyone who wants to know what is happening in my battle (which I am now referring to it by-since I know I can win battles) can just check out this blog.  And this will save me from telling the story 60000 times. :)  I am gonna update it with pictures, stories and all kinds of fun goodies to let you in on how much fun brain cancer is! :) So here is the back story, for the last year+ I have had these random headaches and small bouts of confusion (basically for a minute or two I would have trouble concentrating or making sense of my thoughts.  I chalked it up to stress and not being where I want to be in my life at this time.  Well, once I got my new job and finally got insurance again, I decided to go have a check since it ha

Grade IV Glioblastoma Multiforme

Before I get into my diagnosis, let me preface this all by saying I will survive this.  I will carry on and you all will get sick of me one day.  I am not ignorant and this diagnosis was the complete opposite of what I was hoping for.  I recall reading about Grade IV GBM's (GBM's are what we call them in the biz) and thinking, "Wow, I hope I don't have that."  Well, I do.  This is not easy to say and I know once you all 'google' my diagnosis you will understand why I am not in as high of spirits as I once was.  (I think I am allowed an hour or two of initial shock, but I will get over it.)  This particular cancer has a shelf life of about 1-2 years after diagnosis.  This timeline doesn't even get me to 30 and I am not ok with that.   Listening to the doctor tell me I am a Grade IV Glioblastoma (aka the worst and most aggressive brain cancer known) was like sitting through my death sentence in court.  It was hard- to say the least...  I always tried to

9 Years Later...

A few hours post-op Today is pretty bitter sweet. It marks my 9 year Cancerversary... but with an asterisk. As I said in my last post, 9 years is a long time, 9 years with GBM is a lifetime. The excitement of making it this long is not what I was hoping it would be, but 9 years nonetheless, is quite the accomplishment and I am happy to be here. I am nowhere near done with this life so I hope you all aren’t sick of me just yet. -- Surgery went off without a hitch! I’m sure everybody is super curious as to how an awake craniotomy takes place, so I guess I can go ahead and walk you through it as I am now a seasoned veteran.  I checked in bright and early (around 5:30am) and then waited.. And waited.. And waited until about 7am. Around 7am I was brought back to the initial surgery waiting area where I with 3 other patients all waiting to go to their surgeries. Once I arrived in this secondary waiting area I was greeted by countless people that would be involved in the surgery. So many intr