Skip to main content
Doctors, doctors and more doctors.

Yesterday I spoke with another doctor, Dr. Liu from USC.  Dr. Liu was a very straight forward and smart man.  He is well established and knows what he is talking about so I feel comfortable taking advice from him.  He did not tell me anything I did not know already, I have a tumor in my brain and it needs to come out.  Whether or not it is cancer is still somewhat of a gray area.  He seems fairly certain this tumor began in my brain and tumors that start in the brain are either very 'good' (for a brain tumor) or very bad.  If it is malignant, the tumor will be quite agressive and more difficult to completely get rid of.  If it is benign (fingers crossed) than it won't be as difficult.  Dr. Liu broke it down for me quite simply, like in football with any pass you have 2 options - either you catch the ball or you drop the ball.  These might not be the best of odds, but they are the odds which I was handed and I am ready for the deal.

Dr. Liu is well connected in his field and knows many doctors.  He recommended a doctor who he believes is the best that Kaiser has to offer, Dr. Chen.  I have not yet met Dr. Chen, but when I do I am hopeful that he will be the one who does my procedure.  The appointment I have in LA is Tuesday the 13th of November.  I hope to meet both Dr's Pikul and Chen on the same day and get a more certain timeline as to what my surgery will look like.

The past week has been relaxing, it was much needed.  I got to spend time with my sisters, my niece, my family, my friends and my loving girlfriend.  In a way I am kind of glad I didn't have the procedure yet, it was nice to spend time with my sisters down here instead of up in Portland, although the weather was just about the same.  If I would have had the surgery done I would have been utterly useless the entire time Jo was here.

Until tuesday, the waiting game continues. . .

Coffelt


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day one. For the last few days now I have been trying to figure out the best way to let all of my friends and family in on what is happening with me.  Well, I decided a blog would be the easiest and most efficient way to keep everyone in the loop.  I figure anyone who wants to know what is happening in my battle (which I am now referring to it by-since I know I can win battles) can just check out this blog.  And this will save me from telling the story 60000 times. :)  I am gonna update it with pictures, stories and all kinds of fun goodies to let you in on how much fun brain cancer is! :) So here is the back story, for the last year+ I have had these random headaches and small bouts of confusion (basically for a minute or two I would have trouble concentrating or making sense of my thoughts.  I chalked it up to stress and not being where I want to be in my life at this time.  Well, once I got my new job and finally got insurance again, I decided t...

Grade IV Glioblastoma Multiforme

Before I get into my diagnosis, let me preface this all by saying I will survive this.  I will carry on and you all will get sick of me one day.  I am not ignorant and this diagnosis was the complete opposite of what I was hoping for.  I recall reading about Grade IV GBM's (GBM's are what we call them in the biz) and thinking, "Wow, I hope I don't have that."  Well, I do.  This is not easy to say and I know once you all 'google' my diagnosis you will understand why I am not in as high of spirits as I once was.  (I think I am allowed an hour or two of initial shock, but I will get over it.)  This particular cancer has a shelf life of about 1-2 years after diagnosis.  This timeline doesn't even get me to 30 and I am not ok with that.   Listening to the doctor tell me I am a Grade IV Glioblastoma (aka the worst and most aggressive brain cancer known) was like sitting through my death sentence in court.  It was hard- to say th...

Treatment: Day 1

High school...  I think that was the last time I knew exactly what I wanted, should and needed to do.  It is all too often that us as humans as a whole fall into routines we do not really appreciate nor want.  We take the job that pays the most.  We settle for what we think we deserve, but deep down know we know we are meant for more.  We do not take time out of our days to appreciate life.  We forget and take for granted what we absolutely adored in our youth.  Our minds become institutionalized on the daily grind of what we think we need.  We collect 'things' we think we need to modify and enhance our lives, but only later we find these things eventually begin to become more important to us then the ones we love.  I fully understand, appreciate and RESPECT the work we put in on a daily basis.  This is the motor that keeps our world moving and if we all decided to quit our jobs the economy as we know it would collapse and we would hate ...