Skip to main content

6 months post op.

On June 17th it will be exactly 6 months since the day they cut open my scalp, sawed into my skull and removed a tumor nearly the size of a baseball; which turned out to be one of the most aggressive forms of brain cancer around.  I was told everything under the sun could happen to me and the severity of this cancer was almost notorious for immediate regrowth.  I prepared myself for a road that I had no idea where would lead, buckled down and changed the entire direction of my life in one day.  I guess cancer has a way of doing that.

6 months has almost passed and I went and had another MRI done on Monday.  It was the first MRI I had gone two months in between scans and up until the friday before I was overly excited as I was feeling better than I have since before my surgery.  And then Friday night I started getting the headaches again.  And they seemed to be more severe this time and were almost out of nowhere.  I had a very sleepless Friday night going into an ever more symptomatic Saturday.  Just a little about me before I go any further, I am very 'mental.'  Not in the schizo crazy sense, but I analyze EVERYTHING.  I have been this way since I can remember and having cancer only made it worse.  I am also quite intelligent at times and am very good at finding and recognizing things most people would probably never think twice about.  So once I started getting the headaches again, the only baseline I had for anything like that was my tumor.  So this lead me to believe there was something going on up there that might not be so great.  Needless to say, I was a nervous wreck the next 2 days and during my MRI.

The MRI itself was the longest 30 minutes of my life.  I had to try and lay still while fighting of nausea, heavy breathing and the want to get out of the most claustrophobia inducing machine on earth.  Once the technician let me out I took the biggest sigh of relief and went to greet Natashia.  I told her I did not even care what the MRI said, I was just glad it is over.

So off we go to see Emily, my oncologist to see how my progress is going.  We arrive at her office, wait about 15 minutes and the nurse brings us back to her office.  I enter her office and she sees me first.  She was on speaker phone with another doctor and the second she saw me she picked up her phone and asked the doctor on the other end if he was in his office and if she could go visit with him for a second to go over 'something.'  After another second she hangs up the phone says "I'll be right back."  And she is off.

Emily's office is not very big and I could easily see her two computer monitors of which one was my current MRI and the other was my chart.  Well, panic isn't even close to the right word, but it is the first that comes to mind.  After the longest 10 minutes of my life she comes back in and sits down casually and says, "Lets see how the rest of the MRI looks."  I said wait, what was that?  "Oh that wasn't about you, that was another patient and I can't talk about other patients in front of you."

After a near panic attack, anxiety attack and every emotion under the sun she tells me that!  I pretty much prepared myself for bad news and an inevitable second surgery, more radiation, who knows!  

Well after recovering from that we went over it in depth and my MRI came back absolutely perfect!!!  No new regrowth, no residual swelling and I am actually healing quicker than expected!!  All good news and no bad news, those are the days I love.

Thank you all again for following my progress and supporting me.  It means the world to me and I love hearing stories of people telling me I inspire or give them a little perspective on life, because lets face it, we don't have it all that bad, do we?

"Make your time here meaningful, leave a mark on the world people won't forget for anytime soon.  Even if it is only your family, make sure people know you were a force for positivity and an example to follow.  Who knows who you might influence."

FTGF,
Ryan Coffelt
xo

Finding ways to entertain yourself while waiting for doctors is always a chore.
Enjoy!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day one. For the last few days now I have been trying to figure out the best way to let all of my friends and family in on what is happening with me.  Well, I decided a blog would be the easiest and most efficient way to keep everyone in the loop.  I figure anyone who wants to know what is happening in my battle (which I am now referring to it by-since I know I can win battles) can just check out this blog.  And this will save me from telling the story 60000 times. :)  I am gonna update it with pictures, stories and all kinds of fun goodies to let you in on how much fun brain cancer is! :) So here is the back story, for the last year+ I have had these random headaches and small bouts of confusion (basically for a minute or two I would have trouble concentrating or making sense of my thoughts.  I chalked it up to stress and not being where I want to be in my life at this time.  Well, once I got my new job and finally got insurance again, I decided to go have a check since it ha

Grade IV Glioblastoma Multiforme

Before I get into my diagnosis, let me preface this all by saying I will survive this.  I will carry on and you all will get sick of me one day.  I am not ignorant and this diagnosis was the complete opposite of what I was hoping for.  I recall reading about Grade IV GBM's (GBM's are what we call them in the biz) and thinking, "Wow, I hope I don't have that."  Well, I do.  This is not easy to say and I know once you all 'google' my diagnosis you will understand why I am not in as high of spirits as I once was.  (I think I am allowed an hour or two of initial shock, but I will get over it.)  This particular cancer has a shelf life of about 1-2 years after diagnosis.  This timeline doesn't even get me to 30 and I am not ok with that.   Listening to the doctor tell me I am a Grade IV Glioblastoma (aka the worst and most aggressive brain cancer known) was like sitting through my death sentence in court.  It was hard- to say the least...  I always tried to

9 Years Later...

A few hours post-op Today is pretty bitter sweet. It marks my 9 year Cancerversary... but with an asterisk. As I said in my last post, 9 years is a long time, 9 years with GBM is a lifetime. The excitement of making it this long is not what I was hoping it would be, but 9 years nonetheless, is quite the accomplishment and I am happy to be here. I am nowhere near done with this life so I hope you all aren’t sick of me just yet. -- Surgery went off without a hitch! I’m sure everybody is super curious as to how an awake craniotomy takes place, so I guess I can go ahead and walk you through it as I am now a seasoned veteran.  I checked in bright and early (around 5:30am) and then waited.. And waited.. And waited until about 7am. Around 7am I was brought back to the initial surgery waiting area where I with 3 other patients all waiting to go to their surgeries. Once I arrived in this secondary waiting area I was greeted by countless people that would be involved in the surgery. So many intr